There are many different vendors providing software solutions in the marketplace today. Finding a vendor who has the capability of tailoring an application to a company’s specific needs and being able to meet their needs as they grow larger is crucial. Software is a large investment and a number of factors should be taken into consideration before purchasing.
Experience, Experience, Experience
When researching a vendor, determine the length of time they have been in business, their experience and knowledge of your industry and their flexibility in being able to meet your specific challenges and requirements.
Customize Your Setup
Being able to configure a system your way, so that you do not have to change the way you do business is extremely beneficial. A few key examples include:
- The ability to change the wording available in an application to match your company’s language and terminology. This will assist staff in the transition to a new product.
- Customization of the various types of charge codes you have available will enable your company to have choices in how your customers are charged.
- Customization of service type codes will provide the opportunity to allow for different revenue streams.
- Provision of different Bill Frequencies will enable you to bill certain groups of customers without affecting others.
- The ability to create and customize forms within an application will streamline the process that you may have to do now in a separate application and negate the need to spend money on expensive pre-printed forms and labels.
- Take this one step further and a system that gives you an opportunity to automatically print forms when you service a customer is one less thing you need to remember in your busy day.
- A fully customizable G/L Interface will enable you to interface to any accounting package, set up account numbers, print sales journals and provide automatic journal entries to book into your accounting package.
Customized Customer Information
Having all of the information about your customer available on one screen enables your customer service staff to provide prompt, efficient responses when phone calls are received. Having the ability to tailor your customer information screen will provide a logical flow to how your company conducts business. Some examples include:
- The ability to customize additional fields to capably handle different scenarios that may arise or information you may encounter.
- The ability to set your own credit limits and warnings to give dispatch a warning who owes you money before you service again.
- Creating specific notes for drivers to print on specific forms.
Some companies have more than one vertical market that they service. Finding a vendor who can handle the challenges of different vertical markets that they may service in one application, will save considerable time and effort. A system that is flexible enough to have the ability to have more than one company sharing a database for resources such as vehicles/drivers, etc. with options for financials is very beneficial to this type of a company.