In 1985, the University of Surrey in collaboration with Oxfam developed the Oxfam DelAgua Portable Water Quality Monitoring Test Kit. The Oxfam DelAgua kit enables field workers to test water quality in remote and isolated situations and in circumstances where there is no access to a water testing laboratory. Since its development in 1985, the water test kit is used by all the major International NGO's and other Aid Agencies in over 130 countries around the world.
In 2006, The University of Surrey and other investors founded DelAgua Water Testing Limited to take over the management of the DelAgua organisation. Consequently, various improvements have been made, including:
- The upgrading of all kits
- The upgrade of the design, manufacturing and distribution functions
- R&D to produce a portable microbiological testing kit that provides quantitative results in less than 20 minutes.
- The upgrade of existing services and the introduction of new services, including:
- Free access to a water quality risk assessment software program on DWT's website
- Free access to a library of reference documents on DWT's website
In addition to distributing its own kits and consumables, DWT also offers a distribution service for other manufacturers' products. The most popular products are detailed on this website, but those not detailed can also be supplied - DWT is able to source in excess of 60,000 products from numerous manufacturers.
DWT is committed to providing services and products to enable the provision of clean drinking water for everyone around the world.