In 1993 the GLOBE Foundation, a not-for-profit private business Foundation, was established in Vancouver to carry forward our mandate to promote the business case for sustainable development. Our philosophy? Companies can do well by doing good without sacrificing the bottom line, and environmental challenges bring enormous opportunity for the business sector.
Our three guiding principles:
- Environmental problems are business opportunities.
- Companies that can provide clean technologies and solutions will prosper.
- Proactive organizations that embrace environmental sustainability will be more competitive.
Since 1993, these emerging truths have guided and shaped our activities as we promote and frame sustainability as a sound business strategy. Each of the areas in which the GLOBE Foundation operates revolves around amplifying the concept that protecting the environment will result in a better bottom line for business. Eco-efficiency is profitable not only for those who devise the solutions, but also those that use them. All of our activities, from our events series to our consulting and communication products, mobilize these ideas into the culminating result of being the first entity to focus on developing the business of the environment - not only in Canada, but around the globe.
Our consulting wing, GLOBE Advisors, was established in response to increasing demand to provide consulting services on a project basis. Our vast networks and extensive experience in the areas of international project management, partnership development, consulting and market research makes us well positioned to undertake a number of endeavours to further our mandate of developing the business of the environment. Some examples include:
- EXCEL Partnership, a unique learning partnership of major Canadian corporations committed to environmental leadership.
- Romania Hydroelectric Project Management, a four-year initiative to promote the sustainable management of Romania's hydroelectric resources. Another project prepared the power industry for privatization.
- Sustainable Urban Technology Centre, a joint United Nations Environment Programme International Environmental Technology Centre (UNEP IETC) - GLOBE Foundation strategic initiative and centre of excellence for sustainable urban development.
- EcoSmart™ Partnership, aimed at developing the potential of EcoSmart concrete and other sustainable construction methods and products.
We have also prepared reports and conducted market research, including:
- The Endless Energy Project - a blueprint for complete energy self-sufficiency for British Columbia More»
- Environmental sector reviews on the four Western Provinces More»
- A comprehensive review of the environment sector in British Columbia More»
- BC Environmental Industries Export Directory More»
For over fifteen years, the GLOBE Foundation has used numerous communication channels to raise the profile of environmental business, and reward exceptional results.
We currently provide two key communications products to further our mandate of developing the business of the environment:
Our popular GLOBE-Net news site, Canada's premier online guide to the business of the environment, provides detailed information on environmental business opportunities, up-to-the-moment market intelligence reports and technology and regulatory updates, as well as news reports and special features on important topical issues. Sign up for weekly GLOBE-Net e-newsletters.
Our annual GLOBE Awards for Environmental Excellence were launched in 2002 in partnership with Canada's national newspaper, The Globe and Mail, to recognize the creativity, initiative and leadership of Canadian enterprises towards environmental excellence. Our next awards application deadline is February 1, 2008, check the GLOBE Awards site for more information.
GLOBE 2016 has been announced and will be taking place March 2-4, 2016, at the Vancouver Convention Centre. For detailed event information, refer to their profile.