Our products and services are used extensively by leading global corporations across all sectors, governments, UN agencies and international non-governmental organisations. For example, banks use our indices and in depth reports to screen and manage risk, corporations use our research to understand investment risk and supply chain managers use our tools for due diligence monitoring.
The Global Risks Portfolio, winner of StrategicRISK magazine’s European Risk Management Product of 2010, is home to over 500 risk indices and indicators, 100+ interactive maps, country scorecards, briefings and in-depth reports. These resources provide instantly accessible insights into the core areas of global, political, legal and regulatory, human rights and climate change risks, whilst our flexibility enables us to deliver bespoke risk analysis for any region, country, sector, company or issue.
Country risk products draw on our data bank of third party stakeholder viewpoints and key recent events.
Risk calculators, benchmarking and rating tools quantify and screen for enterprise risk, country and sub national risk and sector risk, in ways that are relevant for both corporations and investors interested in sovereign and sub sovereign risks.
Our award-winning services empower responsible organisations to identify, manage and mitigate global risks in their operations, supply chains and distribution networks. Maplecroft is a leader in human rights due diligence, impact assessment and monitoring. We have longstanding experience in ethical supply chain management with the technological capability to custom build monitoring and reporting systems that can merge our risk intelligence with company data feeds.
Services include: auditing and gap analysis, carbon accounting, mapping, human rights dilemmas research, monitoring, impact assessment, investment decision making, policy development, reporting, and stakeholder engagement.
Company rating and indexing
Political risk, as well as environmental, social and governance risks (ESG) are playing an ever greater role in investment decisions. Maplecroft has developed a suite of tools to rate corporate risk exposures, risk management proficiencies and innovation against ESG risks and short and long term political risk. This intelligence can be licensed and is available in tailored or generic universes to suit investor requirements across all asset classes.
Maplecroft’s flagship work in this area is the Climate Innovation Indexes (CIIs). The indexes rate the 360 largest companies in the US on their climate-related innovation and carbon management programmes to identify the companies best placed to seize opportunities in the low-carbon economy of the future. The first rebalancing of the CIIs was launched on October 4th, 2010 and has revealed a positive relationship between climate innovation and the financial performance of companies. The CIIs are calculated by Bloomberg and trade on the BLOOMBERG PROFESSIONAL.
Increasingly, organisations recognise the impact that social, environmental and political issues have on strategic decision making, business continuity and reputation. They are also conscious of the significant financial benefits that can be achieved through good monitoring of such risks and the seizing of relevant opportunities.
Maplecroft’s meticulous multidisciplinary research, coupled with our expertise in software and design technology, enables us to deliver unrivalled risk intelligence and corporate responsibility solutions across 10 key areas:
- Governance and business environment
- Integrity and corruption
- Geopolitics and emerging powers
- Terrorism and conflict
- Resource security
- Macroeconomics and development
- Human rights and labour standards
- Infectious diseases and public health
- Climate change and environment
- Natural hazards
Interactive risk intelligence
We utilise GIS (Geographic Information System) mapping technology to offer additional insight and enable the assessment of risk and trends at global, national, city, factory or pipeline level. We offer over 100 interactive issue maps which draw on 500+ risk indices and indicators. Interactive maps enable users to extract risk values for specific locations, explore the inter-relationships between different risks and see the implications for areas of operations. Maplecroft’s custom mapping service is used by organisations to communicate complex risks to internal and external stakeholders and can include overlays of company assets to identify risks across entire value chains.
Our interactive capabilities also feature a suite of custom risk tools developed to rate and index corporate risk exposure, risk management proficiency and innovation strategy. This includes our most recent innovation, the Risk Calculator, which builds instant risk profiles for over 200 countries from more than 100 risk indices. Advanced custom versions that can overlay multiple layers of company and supplier risk management information have been developed for several clients.
Off-the-shelf and tailored solutions
- Analysis, index creation and mapping of risks across global value chains down to site level
- Rating of risk management proficiencies and innovative capacity against risk exposures
- Country and issue risk identification, assessment, mapping and monitoring
- Investment strategies and advice
- Supply chain monitoring utilising risk calculators and management systems
- Carbon footprinting, carbon proficiency, innovation, life cycles and engagement
- Human rights mapping, monitoring, impact assessment and auditing
- Social, environmental and strategic impact assessment, including field work
- Consumer confidence and brand reputation strategies through reporting
- Business continuity monitoring, including terrorism, pandemics and natural disasters
- Stakeholder engagement and consultation
Maplecroft is a signatory of the UN Principles for Responsible Investment (UNPRI). ESG issues are at the core of our value proposition and are an integral part of our global, country and company risk analysis and rating. Our services and products enable our clients to fulfil their commitments to the UNPRI.
We believe that helping organisations to embed ESG issues into their decision making and investment practices not only improves their long-term returns to investors but is essential to maintaining competitiveness in the changing economic landscape.
We confirm our support of the UN Principles for Responsible Investment and will where possible:
- Incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes
- Incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices
- Seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest
- Promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry
- Work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles
- Report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles
We look forward to working with fellow signatories to enhance corporate understanding, decision-making and management of ESG risks.
Our social impact
The work we undertake for our business clients is by its very nature aimed at enhancing their ability to manage risks and conduct business in a responsible way.
Maplecroft is also committed to sharing its research and analysis as widely as possible to build awareness of responsible decision making solutions and to educate as many people as possible about human rights, environmental protection and good governance.
Examples of how Maplecroft puts the 10 Principles of the UN Global Compact into practice:
- Maplecroft is the chief implementing partner in the Human Rights Dilemmas Forum, a joint project with the UN Global Compact exploring the dilemmas faced by multinational companies working in emerging markets
- Development and hosting of over 100 indices and interactive maps for Girls Discovered, a joint project with Nike Foundation and UN Foundation highlighting the global vulnerability of adolescent girls
- Pro bono supply of issue maps for NGO websites, projects and reports, including: DATA, Africa Progress Panel, Global Fund, RED, etc
- Discounted rates for working with humanitarian organisations (UN OCHA, North Star Alliance, CARE, World Economic Forum etc.) - including indexing, issue mapping, reporting, research and consultancy
- Discounted rates for access to the Global Risks Portfolio for universities and schools
- The publishing and wide distribution of Ethical Insight, our free fortnightly review of corporate responsibility news to an estimated network of 55,000 people
- Provision of free public access to a selection of Maplecroft maps and indices, particularly in the areas of development and health
- Maplecroft's CEO, Professor Alyson Warhurst, sits on the human rights working group of the UN Global Compact and is an active participant on the Board of Transparency International (UK).
For further information on how Maplecroft implements the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact, see our Communications on Progress.