Pellistors (or Catalytic Beads) have been the flammable gas sensor of choice for oil and gas applications and general industry. Pellistors do however have several technical limitations:
- They do not fail safe: pellistors are easily poisoned by substances such as silicones, sulphur and lead, rendering them insensitive to gas.
- Pellistors must be operated behind a sinter (flame arrestor) which may become blocked, thus preventing gas from reaching the sensor.
- Pellistors are high maintenance: sensors must be regularly tested with gas to ensure they are operational.
- Pellistors typically last 3-5 years only.
- Pellistors may burn-out if exposed to flammable gas concentrations above 100% LEL.
- Pellistors need oxygen to be present to work otherwise their efficiency reduces
IREX overcomes all of these issues and delivers highly dependable and rapid gas detection with no un-revealed failures.