Doppler Wind Lidars for Aviation Meteorology - Aerospace & Air Transport - Airports
AIRCRAFT WAKE VORTEX MONITORING
Aircraft wake vortex is wingtip vortex related to the formation of aircraft lift, which extend back to a long distance in a trumpet shape. The strength of the wake vortex is related to the lift generated by the wing. The greater the lift, the stronger the wake vortex. During the landing and take-off phases, the wake vortex produced by the aircraft is potentially harmful to the aircraft behind it. The observation and research of the aircraft wake vortex near the ground are of great significance to the navigation efficiency of the airport, the approach of the aircraft and the order arrangement of the landing models. Leice was pioneering in research on aircraft wake vortex monitoring in China and has successfully carried out aircraft wake vortex monitoring at Qingdao Liuting Airport, Sichuan Mianyang Airport, and Sichuan Shuangliu Airport.
Features of the scheme
- Identify the core position of the wake vortex by combination of radial velocity distribution and FFT spectrum characterization.
- Invert the circulation of the wake vortex under unsteady aerodynamic conditions by using velocity envelope and Burnham-Hallock model correction method.
- Simulate and correct the circulation error caused by the scanning method of doppler laser wind lidar.
Airport Windshear Monitoring
Wind shear refers to the change of wind vector (wind direction, wind speed) in the horizontal and vertical distances in the air. There are two main causes of wind shear. One is caused by changes in atmospheric motion itself, such as frontal motion, thunderstorms, weather and temperature inversion phenomena etc.; The other is caused by geographical and environmental factors, such as the influence of mountains, buildings and trees. Wind shear is called the 'invisible air killer.'
Since 2014, the lidar team of Ocean University of China has used coherent Doppler wind lidar to carry out low-level windshear observation and early warning. So far, the team has cooperated with Boeing (China) Co., Ltd. and the North China Air Traffic Management Bureau of Civil Aviation in many scientific research projects, including low-altitude windshear observation, windshear factor search, and high-precision three-dimensional wind field detection at the Capital Airport.
Features of the scheme
- The doppler wind lidar can identify and warn the wind shear through a variety of scanning modes:
- DBS wind profile mode
- Stepping wind shear scan mode
- Glide path wind shear scan mode