Gas Detection Solutions for Sour Gas - Oil, Gas & Refineries - Gas
The sour (H2S) content of hydrocarbon fields worldwide is increasing, and many natural gas fields have very high H2S – sometimes in excess of 50%. H2S is extremely dangerous because, although people can smell it at low levels (about 5 ppb) it does not smell much worse at the exposure limit value of 10 ppm or at potentially fatal levels in excess of 100 ppm. Therefore smell is an unreliable means of determining dangerous levels. Existing H2S point sensors are maintenance intensive, slow to respond and provide limited coverage. Most H2S sensors do not work reliably in hot or cold weather, or in humid marine environments.
Open path monitoring with Boreal’s analyzer detects H2S (and/or CH4) leaks from oil and natural gas operations quickly and unambiguously. Path lengths can be up to 750m. Boreal analyzers can be used for fixed monitoring applications or for temporary protection of workers during construction projects.
Using the multiple channel system is now possible to provide complete facility perimeter coverage at relatively low cost. Linear array early warning detection systems, covering several kilometers with no breaks in coverage, can be established between large producing fields and nearby population centres.
H2S safety monitoring with the analyzers can be applied equally well to refineries and sulfur plants. In fact, our analyzers have been monitoring fence line levels of H2S at one US refinery for 8 years – over 70,000 hours of continuous trouble-free.
Boreal’s TDL technology has several benefits for Sour Gas detection:
- Provides continuous and instantaneous response times and data collection.
- Very reliably delivers accurate readings.
- No interference with other gases and No False Alarms: “It finds exactly what you’re looking for.”
- Ease of data collection and interpretation.
- Minimal Maintenance: checks internal reference cell every minute, robust design, and requires no consumables to operate.
- Low (overall or amortized) cost of ownership (because they can last +20 years) and low operation and maintenance costs.
- Our technology is as close to set, collect, and forget as possible.