Laboratory Weighing - Moisture Content Determination - Monitoring and Testing
The moisture content influences the physical properties of a substance such as weight, density, viscosity, refractive index, electrical conductivity and many more. Chemical, thermogravimetric or loss on drying techniques are used to determine this content.
Why measuring moisture ?
Most natural products contain moisture. The water content per se is seldom of interest. Rather, it shows whether a product intended for trade and production has standard properties such as
- Agglomeration in the case of powders
- Microbiolgical stability
- Flow properties, viscosity
- Dry substance content
- Concentration or purity
- Commercial grade (compliance with quality agreements)
- Nutritional value of the product
- Legal conformity (statutory regulations governing food)