Acoustic Associates Sussex Ltd

Noise and vibration problem solutions for building & construction sector - Construction & Construction Materials

Approved Document E of The Building Regulations (2003 Edition) is the document setting out the requirements for sound insulation in buildings. It contains a requirement that organisations carrying out sound insulation testing should be third party accredited in order to demonstrate their competence to carry out such work. We are registered under The Association of Noise Consultants scheme as a testing organisation.

The Association of Noise Consultants scheme has been approved by The Office of The Deputy Prime Minister as suitable for complying with the requirements.

We use in-house instrumentation, both computerised and conventional, with which we can carry out measurements of airborne and impact sound insulation.

Since 1st July 2003, such testing has become a mandatory requirement in material change of use properties, otherwise known generally as conversions. They are also a requirement in some types of new build properties, such as hostels, hotels, student accommodation etc. Such properties are described in Approved Document E as Rooms for Residential Purposes.

New-build houses and flats do not need to be tested for sound insulation performance if they use types of construction known as Robust Details. The use of such details must also be registered with Robust Details Ltd. Alternative construction details will still be subject to pre-completion testing.