Reverse Osmosis and Forward Osmosis Membranes for industrial Processes - Water and Wastewater - Water Filtration and Separation
Aquaporin Inside® Reverse Osmosis and Forward Osmosis membranes can benefit a range of industrial processes improving product quality and saving cost in production.
Product recovery and dewatering
Membrane processes are used widely in recovery, concentration and dewatering, e.g. in the food and beverage and pharmaceutical industries. Aquaporin Inside® Reverse Osmosis membranes can improve these processes in a number of ways:
- Reduce product loss due to better rejection than conventional RO membranes
- Improve product flow by lower membrane fouling and higher water flux, useful in e.g. dairy, syrup and beer production
Aquaporin Inside® Forward Osmosis membranes can also improve recovery, concentration and dewatering processes:
- Aquaporin Inside® Forward Osmosis membranes can achieve very high rejections, also of small neutral compounds, avoiding e.g. loss of aroma compounds in thermal dewatering. This improves the quality of concentrates such as juice and coffee
- Forward Osmosis is low-fouling and can treat streams which would foul or clog a reverse osmosis membrane
- Forward Osmosis can reach very low water content, saving expensive evaporation steps
- Forward osmosis is gentle enough to concentrate sensitive products such as virus particles for vaccines
Cooling tower makeup water
In evaporative cooling towers, fresh water is used as make-up water to replenish the cooling water following evaporation. Instead of applying fresh water, the concentrated cooling water (containing anti-scalants and other water treatment chemicals with an osmotic potential) can be used directly as a draw solution in a forward osmosis process. A low-quality stream of waste water, brackish or even sea water can be used as feed, to produce makeup water at a fraction of the energy consumption.
Ultrapure water installations typically include reverse osmosis as an early treatment step, before ion exchange and polishing. Aquaporin Inside® membranes can benefit ultrapure water system designs in two ways. Firstly, the higher water flux of our membranes can reduce footprint or energy consumption or improve capacity. Further, the better rejections of Aquaporin Inside® membranes can improve the removal of troublesome neutral organics and minimize the need for polishing steps.