Superabsorbents solutions for food packaging industry - Food and Beverage - Food
Free exudates, such as meat juices, are one of the main problems within the primary packaging of fresh produce. SAF™ superabsorbent fibre is regulatory listed for use as an absorbent in food packaging and is already the basis for a portfolio of absorbent food pads that effectively lock away such liquids within their core.
Absorbent food pads often sit beneath the product on a tray and provide a highly efficient way of keeping meat, fish, poultry and a whole range of other perishable foodstuffs packaged in optimised conditions and ultimately fresher for longer.
There are many benefits in using SAF™ technology as the absorbent component in such absorbent food/soaker. As a fibre, SAF™ has a very high core to surface area ratio delivering rapid absorption and as a result, SAF™ superabsorbent fabrics provide excellent fluid absorption and low re-wet levels, even with minimal dosing. Such fabrics can be cut and shapes as required into absorbent food pads.
SAF™ Food Packaging Superabsorbents – Fibres
- FDA and EFSA listed as an absorbent in food packaging
- Non-irritant and safe to handle
- Very high core to surface area ratio and absorbs water and saline rapidly
- Can be blended with a range of synthetic and natural fibres
- Suitable for conversion by different routes, e.g. airlaid, hot air-through and carded thermo-bond
- Reduce dusting and superabsorbent respirable particles during processing compared to powders and granules
- No adhesive or multiple layering is required to fix the SAF™ fibres in place
SAF™ Food Packaging Superabsorbents – Fabrics
- Provide excellent fluid absorption and low re-wet levels
- Slower gel blocking due to even SAF™ fibre distribution
- No grittiness or superabsorbent gel leaching
- Can be cut and shaped as required
- Types of packaging applications
- Fresh food
- Food pallet leakage sheets
A number of different SAF™ superabsorbent fabrics are available and bespoke materials can also be designed to meet specific requirements. Please click on the below links to learn more.