1,4-Dioxane and cVOC Destruction Drinking Water - Case Study
Purifies Photo-Cat AOP+ technology is an upgrade to traditional AOP. The AOP+® process uses and recovers a true catalyst to generate the highest oxidative potential commercially available, without chemicals. This low energy process destroys the target compounds: 1,4-Dioxane, 1,1-DCE, cVOCs and eliminates the need forGAC.
- A Photo-Cat system was installed in 2013 to destroy 1,4-Dioxane and carcinogenic VOCs which were impacting three municipal groundwater wells in a Southern US water district. The Photo-Cat achieves two log removal (99%) of these compounds to reduce 1,4-Dioxane levels to less than 1 ppb and to reduce cVOCs below their respective MCLs.
- Photo-Cat was installed because:
- o 1,4-Dioxane breaks through granulated activated carbon (GAC) very quickly; 1,1-DCE and cVOCs consume the GAC aggressively. GAC change-outs would be frequent and expensive.
- UV/H2O2 AOP consumes only a small portion of the H2O2 that is injected into the process, and requires GAC or Chlorine post treatment to quench the bulk residual H2O2.
- (NOTE: Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is a strong oxidizer chemical that can ignite materials and initiate potentially dangerous chain reaction, such as fires, cause severe bums and blindness; H2O2 must be cautiously handled only by trained personnel donning proper PPE and was not favored due to public health/safety perception.)
- Required a small footprint as access areas are limited in size.