Abu Dhabi Gas Liquefaction Company or ADGAS was established in 1973 as the first liquefied natural gas production company in the entire Middle East and North Africa region. For four decades, ADGAS has pioneered liquefied natural gas (LNG) and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) production and marketing in this region. Today, the company is a recognized industry leader serving its customers and community in a socially responsible manner by building on the expertise of its shareholders – including its parent company, Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC).
“We will strive to sustain our recognized international reputation for reliability, integrity and efficiency and to continually improve HSE and business performance,” says the ADGAS mission statement.1 Recently, the company demonstrated its commitment to excellence in health, safety and environmental (HSE) management by launching a major new project focused on Flaring Handling and Emissions Reporting system. The ADGAS information technology (IT) group collaborated with the HSE team to prepare the business case for introduction of a company-wide Flares and Emission Reporting information system. When the project was approved, they shortlisted four vendors and conducted an extensive technical evaluation.
In 2011, ADGAS selected IHS Essential Suite software – part of the IHS Environmental Performance Solution – and began implementing its air emissions module to enhance data management and reporting of daily flaring data, daily emissions, flare volumes and fuel gas data. The first goal of the ADGAS project was to provide information for compliance with ADNOC’s HSE Codes of Practice – guidelines for how ADNOC Group Companies must manage HSE that align with UAE Laws & Regulations as well global oil and gas industry standards.
“Full compliance with ADNOC guidelines is essential to maintain our license to operate and our ISO 14001 certification,” said Mohamed Zamzam, HSE Division Manager of ADGAS. ”We are also using emissions information from the IHS system to proactively measure, analyze and report on our performance in relation to other industry leaders – so our shareholders have greater transparency into ADGAS leadership position and our managers have clearer insights into how we can continuously improve our operations.”
Prior to implementation of the IHS system, ADGAS air emissions were tracked on more than 100 spreadsheets, many of them highly complex. Data input, emission calculations, and analysis of results were all carried out manually, requiring significant investments of time and effort by HSE professionals. and increasing the risk of inconsistency and errors.
Compiling data and generating the necessary reports for senior management (daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly and annually) was also done manually, resulting in more overburdened staff and data integrity questions.
- Ensure compliance with government, industry and corporate standards – especially ADNOC
- Continuous improvement of air emissions data management and reporting work processes
- Meet commitment to HSE excellence by reducing environmental impact of oil well flaring
- IHS Environmental Performance Solution with IHS Essential Suite
- Implemented state-of-the-art enterprise-wide air emissions information management and reporting system
- Eliminated 100+ complex spreadsheets previously used for emissions tracking/reporting
- Reduced time required to prepare monthly air emissions report from 3 days to 3-4 hours
- Developed 23 flaring and emission report formats to meet demands of multiple stakeholders
- Supports workforce continuity and personnel optimization with standardized system
- Using emissions information to proactively measure, analyze and report on emissions performance in relation to other industry leaders