Anchoring CSR in the organisation to create greater ROI
'EMG has shown how it is possible to underpin the idea of sustainability with real substance. Its team has created a true example of environmental excellence and hence our commitment to it. ' - Stef Kranendijk, CEO DESSO, a Cradle to Cradle company
Case in point: DESSO
In 2007, Stef Kranendijk was appointed new CEO of Dutch carpet manufacturer DESSO following the management buyout from Armstrong World Industries. Inspired by the philosophy and business potential of Cradle to Cradle he set out on a mission to change the way the business had run for more than 80 years, indeed raising the standards of the entire industry. EMG worked together with DESSO on their successful journey right from the start.
- Stakeholder and customer engagement assessment and analysis
- Development and full integration of CSR into the corporate communications strategy
- Corporate reputation management
- Employee engagement, training and corporate events
- Cradle to Cradle communications and product promotion
- Annual reports
- GRI and sustainability reporting
The work of EMG was rewarded by the following international recognition:
- Leadership Award - Leadership in Ethical and Environmental Responsibility, Communitas Awards
- Best of Category Award - Green Marketing, Summit International Marketing Effectiveness Awards
- Platinum Award - Category Environmental, MarCom Awards
The success of DESSO's transition has been phenomenal. Today, DESSO is a an exemplar organisation for successful Cradle to Cradle implementation, promoted at the World Economic Forum in Davos and a business case at London Business School. Media attention has been spectacular and DESSO is frequently recognized as one of most sustainable and innovative companies in the world. Most importantly, market share increased everywhere and profitability went up from less than 1% in 2006 to 3% in 2007, 4.5% in 2008, almost 6% in 2009, and 9% in 2010 - straight through the crisis. DESSO has now taken things to another new level, through the recent acquisition of the larger Enia Carpet.