Advances in material science and membrane manufacturing technology have driven this trend. The benefits that membrane systems offer over conventional technology include:
- Better removal of contaminants
- Smaller, absolute pore sizes offer a 99.9999% (6 log) removal rating for many contaminants. Conventional treatment systems typically achieve 99-99.9% (2-3 log reduction)
- High Efficiency
- Water produced/water fed ratios to the system reach as high as 98%.
- Integrity Assurance
- Automated procedures allow in-place testing to quickly confirm that the membrane is not breached.
- Variable filtration ratings
- Systems employing differing classes of membranes ranging from microfiltration to reverse osmosis allow for precise contaminant removal at the lowest total cost.
- Smaller footprint
- Membrane systems typically require 50-70% less space than conventional technologies
- Easy to operate - Conventional technologies often require continuous adjustment of conditions via chemical addition to achieve contaminant removal. This means a high level of operator intervention and the risk of contaminants in the effluent.
- Automated controls enable consistent, trouble-free operation, far less operator attention, and automated alarms when attention is required.
- Long filtration media life
Some membranes have a useful life expectancy as high as 10 years.
Let Pall Water Processing be your membrane technology partner
Pall Corporation offers water and wastewater treatment solutions using every major class of membrane technology in a wide variety of configurations and materials. In addition, our systems are certified for use in many states and countries and built using certified ISO 9001 quality standards. For more information, please return to the water home page or contact Pall Corporation to speak to a membrane application specialist.