In 2008 Fujitsu announced an ambition to reduce CO2 emissions by 30 million tonnes by 2020 through environmental innovation. In addition, the company has committed to becoming an industry leader in sustainable IT solutions.
The key to delivering the CO2 reduction strategy is to ensure that Fujitsu maintains a clear and transparent record of their carbon emissions. Fujitsu engaged with Greenstone to implement Acco2untenterprise across the UK operation before expansion to EMEA and the rest of the world. The initial implementation covered around 65 sites with more than 250,000 rows of data upload to the system. Greenstone’s solution and supporting services have enabled Fujitsu to make their carbon management processes consistent across the organisation and provide the opportunity for both detailed analysis and high level management reporting.
Acco2untenterprise was implemented as a carbon accounting solution for Fujitsu’s UK operations which will be followed by expansion to EMEA.
Acco2untenterprise has enabled Fujitsu to:
- Gather data efficiently for a wide range of emission sources.
- Consolidate all carbon emission data in one centralised repository.
- Analyse carbon emissions across the organisation and compare the performance of different business operations.
- Conduct scenario planning for future carbon reductions.
- Generate bespoke reports.
The work Fujitsu has undertaken to manage their carbon more efficiently has led to them being used by the Ministry for UK Trade & Investment as a case study for the Government’s UK Low Carbon International Marketing Strategy.