Undisclosed Site, Ontario, 2008
Environmental investigation of a grass-covered area uncovered free phase petroleum (F3-F4 fraction heavy oils) in fractured, weathered shale. A pilot project was undertaken by Terratechnik Ltd. to excavate the shale and treat it by washing with a non-ionic surfactant, Ivey-Sol® 103.
• Operates below the critical micelle concentration facilitating low application rates
• Strongly enhances the solubility of hydrophobic compounds
• Does not cause emulsification of oils
• Does not foul traditional wastewater treatment systems (i.e. organoclays, GAC, etc.)
• Unlike ionic surfactants Ivey-Sol® does not disperse in the aqueous phase
• There are various formulations (103, 106, 108) designed for specific types of contaminants