Distributor of industrial gases located in Louisiana, USA.
Oil and grease from pumps, truck loading stations, and other sites flow through a 2’x 2’ below ground settling basin. Oil and grease discharging to the local wastewater treatment plant. Water discharge limits had oil concentration levels to unacceptably high levels, adversely effects product quality, promotes bacterial growth which can lead to worker skin disorders.
- Eliminate the use of the Belt and Disk Skimmers.
- Plumb two of the three machining cells to a central coolant reservoir and circulation system. Coolant reservoir includes a settling tank large enough to contain the coolant long enough to allow an average sized droplet of oil to raise to the surface of the coolant.
- Install one SkimTech Model BG01 Oil Skimmer with 60” Angle Frame Mount to continually remove the tramp oil without dragging the tramp oil back into the coolant reservoir.
- Install one SkimTech Model AG25 Oil Skimmer on each machine where it is not practical to use a central coolant system. Enlarge the reservoir tank to allow more settling time for the tramp oil to rise to the surface of the coolant where it can be skimmed in a more efficient manner. The Model AG25 Oil Skimmer does not reintroduce the tramp oil back into the coolant.
- Installing the settling tanks allowed more time for the tramp oil to settle out of the coolant flow.
- Installing the Tube Type Oil Skimmers minimized the concentration of tramp oil in the coolant which also significantly reduced bacterial growth. Tube Type skimmers use a floating collector tube that is driven in a continuous loop by the skimmer and does not reintroduce the tramp oil back into the coolant flow.
- The customer also experimented with expensive synthetic and other mixes of coolant. After addressing the real problems with the tramp oil concentration levels – dwell time to allow the tramp oil to float to the coolant surface, and eliminating the use of the belt and disk skimmers, they were able to use their low cost standard oil/water coolant mix without continued quality and worker health related problems.