Recalcitrant petroleum product residuals sorbed in fine grain soils and fractured bedrock
Persistent concentrations in groundwater after 12 years of remediation - including pumping, HVDPE
Obtained regulatory approval for Ivey-sol surfactant application in spring 2009
Pilot Test Approach - Focused Short-Term Surfactant Injection/Extraction to Maximize Recovery
- Ivey-sol 106 pilot scale injection undertaken over 5 days in July 2009
- Four injection events, one injection well (MW15) and four extraction
- HVDEP wells (MW2, 7, 8 and 11)
- Five surrounding monitoring wells sampled during pilot
- Mobile HVDPE system capable of 28 inch Hg vacuum and 800 SCFM
- Groundwater HVDEP average recovery rate of 0.24 ppm
- Recalcitrant petroleum product residuals in fractured bedrock Persistent concentrations in groundwater after 12 years of remediation - including pumping, HVDPE
Classes of Surfactants
- Anionic: Have one or more negatively (-) charged groupings; commonly used in laundry detergent
- Cationic: Have one or more positively (+) charged groupings, typically poor detergents but well suited tor use as germicides, tabric softeners and emulsifiers. Amphoteric: Contains both anionic and cationic groupings; prefer neutral pH and found in products such as hair shampoo, skin cleaners and carpet shampoo.
- Ionic Surfactants make up >95% of the surfactant used around the world.
- Non-ionic: Have no ionic constituents or groupings; largest single group of SAA (Surface Active Agent) and have a correspondingly wide range of chemical characteristics. Ivey-sol surfactant mixtures are non-ionic and have the unique ability to selectively desorb contamination (LNAPL, DNAPL's, PAH, PCB, DCE, TCE, PCE), etc.
Why Ivey-sol Surfactants?
- Improves desorption of target contaminants in soil and groundwater
- Lowers the surface tension of water improving both its wetting
- and associated permeability (K) properties
- Effective as a stand alone technology for soil and groundwater remediation
- Effective to improve other remediation techniques (i.e., P&T,
- Soil Washing, Bioremediation, Chemical Oxidation/Reduction)