Cat ladder with safety cage: Visual comparison Iron vs. Fiberglass
The iron ladders are increasingly disused and many of them are being replaced over the years by serious problems of oxidation and loss of properties that make access by them a real feat. Ladders that any risk prevention professional would question, forcing its renewal by one with more resistant materials such as stainless steel or fiberglass.
IVERNA as a company specializing in the manufacture of access systems, was a pioneer in the creation of polypropylene manhole steps; 100% virgin material that covers a calibrated steel rod protecting it from rust, moisture and corrosion.
Following this commitment to quality, IVERNA launched its GRP fiberglass access system line and has been carrying out tailor-made projects all year long, manufacturing cat ladders with safety cage and tramex walkways with protective railing very useful in particularly aggressive environments.
This was the case of the industrial plant located in Cuarte de Huerva, of the company «Adiego Hermanos», specialist in chemical products for sectors such as food, water treatment or pharmaceutical industry. The nature of the product that is manipulated in these environments already implied a handicap for the access systems of the plant itself. So much so that the cat ladder with iron safety cage that was arranged in one of the facades of the factory to access the electrical tower that feeds the plant, was in very poor conditions.
IVERNA together with the company «Montajes Eléctricos y Conservación» (MEICO) have carried out this project of renovation of the access system, counting on a material such as fiberglass with numerous advantages that we will explain next.
The project has consisted of the following:
- A 6,6-meter-long cat ladder with its legs and bolts in stainless steel and 4 meters of safety cage with an Exit Kit 1 meter above the final quota.
- Another 2-meter-long ladder with a retractable stainless-steel handhold installed on the first steps of the ladder to facilitate the climb.
- Several stretches of tramex walkway on the roof, with an anti-slip silica sand finish and a railing built in the same materials and joined with stainless steel screws.
These are some of the photos that exemplify the before and after:
What problems do you have to install an iron access system?
- Maintenance: It would be necessary to repaint the iron steps with anticorrosive paint every year to ensure minimum safety conditions.
- The iron steps decay from their mooring to the concrete due to the humidity of the environment, which can cause the breaking of the clamping leg.
- Short durability.
- Rapid oxidation and formation of scales that damage the hands of the operator.
- Contaminate drinking water.
- Low resistance to corrosive products and gases.
- Danger of slipping when stepping on the iron step in bad condition.
What are the advantages of a fiberglass ladder (GRP)?
- Electrical insulation: Great resistance to electrical conductivity; dielectric material.
- Resistant to corrosion and oxidation in wet conditions and microorganisms.
- Resistant to ultraviolet exposure.
- The subsequent maintenance required by painted surfaces is eliminated.
- Higher stress / weight ratio than aluminum, steel and iron.
If you have not yet convinced yourself of the enormous advantages of fiberglass, call us and let yourself be convinced, we will advise you on your project from start to finish, ensuring a professional and quality finish.
Discover more about our fiberglass GRP access systems on our website, in addition to our IVERPLASTIC ladder made entirely of plastic, lightweight, economical and easy to assemble.
Do not forget that you can also add retractable stainless-steel handles on the first rungs of your ladder to greatly facilitate access. More information on our website.