In late 2011, the United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) approved plans to install a new well and build a new water treatment facility for the City of Roswell, Georgia. Barlovento LLC was selected during a competitive bidding process to provide an iron and manganese removal system for the new water supply. AdEdge Water Technologies, LLC was contracted to design, manufacture, and commission an iron and manganese treatment plant for the city. The raw water has an iron concentration of >0.8 mg/L and a manganese concentration of >0.1 mg/L, exceeding the Environmental Protection Agency's standards of 0.3 mg/L iron and 0.05 mg/L manganese.
The AdEdge treatment system was designed to treat up to 400 gallons per minute to serve the water supply wells in removing iron and manganese to the mentioned EPA standards. The treatment system was packaged in a compact, skid-mounted unit, AdEdge model APU26-7272CS-2-AVH, utilizing two 72-inch diameter carbon steel vessels in parallel. Each vessel was loaded with AdEdge GS+ media and appropriate support media. The ADGS+ media is a proven manganese dioxide coated media used for the removal of arsenic, iron, manganese, and hydrogen sulfide.
- Pre-chlorination using sodium hypochlorite to oxidize the iron and manganese for optimal removal.
- Sequestering chemical feed pumps inject ortho-polyphosphates downstream of the APU system to act as a corrosion inhibitor in the distribution piping.
- Post-chlorination for final disinfection in the distribution system.
- System is equipped with inline turbidity, pH, and chlorine influent and effluent monitoring equipment.
- Differential pressure monitoring, local pressure gauges, flow sensors, and a central hydraulic panel.
- System control provided by PLC and HMI user interface screen. PLC provides control of well pumps and chemical dosing pumps, as well as remote operator plant control.
- The AdEdge treatment system was commissioned in late 2012. The system is consistently meeting the effluent treatment goals of 0.3 mg/L for iron and 0.05 mg/L for manganese since it began operation.
Client: City of Roswell, GA
Date: December 2012
Flow Rate: 400 gpm