Controlling and monitoring Malaysia’s largest water distribution network - Case Study
Syarikat Bekalan Air Selangor Sdn Bhd (SYABAS) in Malaysia is the sole water distribution company supplying water to industrial and domestic users in the state of Selangor and the federal territories of Kuala Lumpur and Putrajaya. SYABAS relies heavily on a network of TBox remote telemetry units (RTU) relaying information to their SCADA system to provide real-time monitoring and control of their water distribution network that delivers water to their 2million customers.
The Malaysian government aims to have 99% of its population served by clean and treated water by 2020. In achieving this vision, the Malaysian government set the following objectives:
- Everyone will have access to safe, adequate and affordable water supply, hygiene and sanitation.
- The provision of sufficient water will ensure national food security and promote rural development.
- There will be provision of sufficient water to spur and sustain economic growth within the context of a knowledge-based economy and e-commerce.
- The water environment will be protected to preserve water resources (both surface water and groundwater) and natural flow regimes, bio-diversity and the cultural heritage, along with mitigation of waterrelated hazards.
Due to the vast area it covers across ten districts and its network of thousands of pump houses and reservoirs, SYABAS, assisted by Servelec Technologies’ TBox devices, is at the forefront of using remote telemetry technology to control and monitor their distribution network.
SYABAS has a purpose built Operation Control Centre (OCC) based at its Kuala Lumpur headquarters, which is home to its central SCADA system. The operation of the system relies on a mixture of TBox remote telemetry units installed in over 200 pump houses and reservoirs, each connected to the OCC by 3G cellular communications and transferring data using the DNP3 protocol. The SCADA system and TBox devices support key features including:
- Independent automatic pumping control at pump houses.
- Manual control override from the SCADA master station.
- Communication between TBox RTUs and the OCC.
- SMS alarms to operations personnel directly from the TBox RTUs.
- Scheduled email reports to designated personnel directly from the TBox RTUs.
- Secondary web visualization in each TBox RTUs via a web browser.
- Secondary data historization using data logging in TBox RTUs.
The above features provide SYABAS with near real-time status of its water distribution networks enabling the provider to ensure an uninterrupted water supply to its consumers.