The Mitigation Strategy of the measure Conversion to Extensive Grassland refers to flood prevention and environmental protection also.
Flood protection can be achieved by:
- Increase the infiltration of rainwater by high roughness and preventing soil silting,
- Reducing the flow velocity of surface run off,
- The hydrologic-hydraulic effect varies depending on the vegetation, soil condition at the time of conversion (compression, water conductivity) and the season.
Environmental protection by:
- Improve habitat and biotope networking function for plant and animal species characteristic of open land (particularly potential grassland bird-nesting areas, bird resting places),
- Protection of the soil from water erosion,
- Groundwater protection trough reduction of nitrate leachate,
- Appreciation of the landscape and increase the effectiveness of the experience of landscape (depending on the grassland proportion of the landscape).