Color Resolutions International (CRI) is a leading producer of water-based flexographic inks used on paper and film packaging for graphic image and performance conscious printers.
CRI’s central manufacturing plant is located in Cincinnati, Ohio and the company operates 19 blending sites in the U.S. to provide prompt local service.
Certain manufacturers are required to calculate and report the quantity of volatile organic compounds (VOC) and the hazardous air pollutants (HAPs) that evaporate in the air as a result of operating a manufacturing facility. These manufacturers need to obtain permits and report emission calculations to demonstrate compliance. This involves the expensive testing of each product for VOC content or the review of all relevant formulation components and thus multiplying the VOC/HAPs content by the consumption of the product. This is a daunting task for manufacturers in the paints and coating industry who use and supply hundreds of products that contain VOC/HAPs.
As a supplier of inks, CRI is impelled by demand, to provide to customers, who are required by law to file air permits, calculated reports which contain their specific VOC/HAPs liability. In the past, customers would call CRI to request a VOC/HAPs report for a particular period. After speaking to CRI personnel, the request was submitted and data was formulated using numerous software programs, in order to obtain calculations that were dependent upon local requirements. The whole process from request to the delivery of the report usually took several days for each customer and involved numerous CRI employees.
CRI needed a hands-off solution which:
- Reduced the amount of time needed to develop and disseminate these reports
- Decreased the number of employees involved in the reporting process
- Increased customer response time and satisfaction
- Enabled online access
- Integrated to their ERP system
In an effort to advance customer relations, CRI made replacing the manual method of VOC/HAPs reporting, a top priority. After evaluating numerous options, CRI turned to UL The Wercs for a customized solution. For CRI, UL The Wercs software managed the authoring of (M)SDS and was integrated with an order processing module. A custom online VOC/HAPs reporting tool would serve as an extension to the authoring software.
Within two months, UL The Wercs developed and implemented an online reporting module which enabled CRI to completely eliminate the manual system that was in place for VOC/HAPs reporting. The new module automatically gathers VOC/HAPs data from UL The Wercs (M)SDS formulation database and cross references them with the order history. Customers can now go to a secured CRI website, enter a customer code and password and get a complete VOC/HAPs emission analysis for a variety of reporting requirements.
Specifically for CRI, the online module has:
- Reduced the turn around time from several weeks to instant access to critical data
- Decreased the amount of employees from three to one needed to manage the reporting process
- Eliminated the need to use three different software products to develop and disseminate the reports
- Provided advanced query functionality for product and content specific reporting
- Increased customer satisfaction
- Greatly reduced the amount of paperwork previously required to tabulate results