Critical Facilities Solutions - Case study
Corrosion and bacteria were clogging and eating away at chiller tubes in an Ashburn, VA data center. Despite using side-stream filtration, bacterial growth was a relentless problem that threatened the center’s ability to keep cool air flowing over critical equipment.
Plain sand filter media was removed from existing side-stream filters and was replaced with Pathex on five 1,200-ton cooling towers. Pathex destroys bacteria on contact, tackling biofilm and its contributions to corrosion and further biofouling – without the need for lengthy maintenance procedures or system downtime.
System reliability, cleaner water, and reduced energy and water consumption:
- Recovered 1.8°F of chiller temperature
- Reduced run KW from 699 to 590
- Water clarity (turbidity) improved from >424 NTU to <5 NTU
- Eliminated 80% of oxidizing chemical treatment
- Saved 20% in water and 50% maintenance costs