Client: United States Enrichment Corporation (USEC) in Paducah, Kentucky
EISC’s Analytical Review and Reporting Suite (R & R Suite) lab data automation solution was provided to United States Enrichment Corporation (USEC) in Paducah, Kentucky. The R & R Software Systems automated the laboratory analytical process for Metals, General Chemistry, Semi-Volatiles, Volatiles, PCB’s and Radiation from instruments integration, quality assurance, reporting, and communication to the various information management systems within USEC.
USEC, Inc. (NYSE:USU) is a leading supplier of enriched uranium fuel for commercial nuclear power plants. USEC operates the only uranium enrichment facility in the United States and supplies more than half of the U.S. market and more than a quarter of the world market.
USEC had a series of obstacles to address. First, USEC required flexibility to meet the requirements of the different uses of their analytical data. For example, the analytical data being processed within the USEC laboratory was required to be reported to:
- The Fuel Fabricators to ensure that the Uranium is of the proper grade to be enriched (Manufacturing and ProductQuality Assurance)
- Industrial Hygiene to control health hazards and extent of worker exposure
- Surface Water Discharge Permits for the National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES)
- Waste Monitoring for the reuse of waste for other energy sources
- Disposal Monitoring for disposal contents before shipping to disposal location
- Reporting to the Nuclear Control and Accountability Regulatory Agency for the Department of Energy
Second, USEC required manageability and flexibility to meet the requirements of the various Quality Assurance Programs both internally (within the laboratory), and externally (for their regulatory requirements).
Third, USEC results needed to be of the highest quality for defensibility purposes in order to defend a result reported, as well as, meet the highest standard for their manufacturing process.
Fourth, USEC required all analytical processes to be highly automated so the lab staff could focus on their analytical core competence (the science) rather than the reporting of results for their different requirements.
EISC implemented the R & R Suite software system to seamlessly integrate all analytical instrumentation, automate the laboratory Quality Assurance Programs, and implement all reporting and electronic deliverable requirements within USEC’s laboratory. During a five week process, EISC implemented the R & R Suite into production for the Metals, General Chemistry, Semi-Volatiles, Volatiles, PCB and Radiation analytical processes.
Within the same delivery schedule, the R& R Suite was integrated to all other information management systems within the USEC Paducah site.
Results for USEC’s laboratory were multi-faceted. First, the flexibility to distribute the analytical results in numerous ways to meet the requirements established both internally and externally to the company. Second, all aspects of the analytical process can be managed by the USEC laboratory. For example:
- Quality Assurance Programs are self-defined and managed by the laboratory.
- Analytical Requirements are self-defined, managed, and communicated throughout the laboratory.
- Internal Client and Regulatory Requirements are self-defined, managed, and communicated throughout
Third, all analytical results are presented within Full Deliverable Reports to meet the highest standard of defensibility and quality. This means that all results processed on an instrument can be reported on a Full
Deliverable Report. For example:
- Field Sampling Quality Assurance Samples
- Instrument Quality Assurance Samples
- Continuing Calibration and Contamination Quality Assurance Samples
- Preparation Quality Assurance Samples
- Reportable Samples for Manufacturing, Industrial Hygiene, Disposal, and Regulatory Agencies
Fourth, all analytical results from instrument, analytical review, to reporting can be reported to the decision makers
within 7 to 20 minutes so the laboratory focus is on its analytical core competence rather than the reporting of the
- Health & Safety
- Regulatory Compliance
- Industrial Hygiene
- Waste Management
- Immediate and significant production increase
- Automated quality assurance
- Immediate instrument integration
- Immediate informatics integration
- Automated report generation
- Automated electronic data deliverable generation
- Immediate implementation
- Internet centric
- Remote system delivery
EISC is an international provider of scientific application software that allows analytical laboratories to immediately automate data quality assurance and increase analytical production on demand. Our patented software products provide a seamless, universal connectivity platform that automatically assimilates and summarizes dynamic analytical data into comprehensive analytical information throughout a variety of industries such as environmental, manufacturing, food, health and safety, pharmaceutical, waste management, water, nuclear, and air.