Enginetics Aerospace Boosts Safety Data Management to Earn ISO 14001 Certification and Lower Operating Costs
Product and worker safety have always been top priorities at Enginetics Aerospace Corporation. Founded in 1976, this Ohio-based company began as a small manufacturer of prototype parts. Today it is a leading provider of complex metal formed components and fabricated assemblies for the global aerospace industry, partnering with the US Department of Defense as well as commercial jet builders and military customers in other countries to deliver innovative design and engineering that result in superior quality at lower costs. As its international business took off, Enginetics’ executive team decided to seek ISO 14001 certification. ISO 14001 is a framework that companies can follow to assure management, employees and other stakeholders that environmental impacts are being measured and improved. By analyzing work processes and identifying materials that are used in each step, companies can often achieve benefits such as reduced cost of waste management, savings in consumption of energy and materials, lower distribution costs and improved corporate reputation.
Fortunately, Enginetics was well positioned to apply for ISO 14001 certification because it was already fully committed to ensuring compliance with other global mandates for product stewardship and sustainability – including Tier II chemical inventory reporting under the US Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA) as well as the Globally Harmonized System for Classification and Labelling of Chemicals (GHS) and the European Union’s Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH).
To facilitate compliance with these mandates, and more, Enginetics had recently automated management of Safety Data Sheets (SDSs) throughout its operations. It stopped relying on hazard communication information in paper-based SDSs that had to be managed manually in order to streamline its compliance work processes and reduce the likelihood of critical material safety data being inaccessible, in error or out of date.
In 2004, Enginetics selected IHS DolphinRTK software – available on-demand as a Web-based application – part of the IHS Product Stewardship Solution. “The fact is that our SDSs were scattered all over the place,” said Jennifer Helman, Hazardous Material Coordinator at Enginetics, “It was extremely difficult to track them and keep them current. IHS has been a life saver, honestly. It’s made my job so much easier. Previously it could take 15 minutes or more to find an SDS. Now you’re looking at less than 30 seconds. We have computers available all over the shop floor so people can get the SDS they need quickly and easily. Finding chemical safety information nowadays just depends on how fast they can type!”
- Maintain access to current markets and enter new ones by ensuring compliance with global safety regulations and standards
- Improve worker safety and health by making chemical hazard information more accessible
- Drive growth by lowering costs and enabling smart product development decisions
- IHS Product Stewardship Solution with IHS Dolphin RTK
- Automated Safety Data Sheet management to ensure compliance with ISO 14001 as well as REACH, GHS, EPCRA Tier II
- Improved daily employee access to chemical hazard communications to help reduce incidents and injury-related costs.
- Reduced the time required to find a specific SDS from 15 minutes to just seconds.
- Accelerated collection of chemical data for Tier II reporting from weeks or months to 1 day
- Provided accurate, timely data to determine what materials should be used as ingredients in products intended for a given market