With encouragement from several global beverage companies, Antea Group's Global Corporate Consultancy led the formation of BIER in 2006, enlisted the early members and convened meetings to launch this industry group. Our team provides leadership and facilitates the group, helping members to drive efforts toward continuous improvement across the beverage industry on the environmental aspects of water stewardship, energy and climate change. We conduct quantitative and qualitative benchmarking, best practice sharing, and development of key messages and information to be used in support of external communications and industry advocacy.
We currently facilitate this technical coalition of 17 world-leading beverage companies covering nearly all beverage sectors: non-alcoholic beverages, distilled spirits, beer and wine. We convene semi-annual gatherings that include member company representatives with global- and corporate-level responsibilities for environmental affairs, public relations and external communications.
Since its founding, BIER has advanced its objectives by:
- Developing leadership definitions on water stewardship in the beverage industry,
- Developing best practice guidance tools on drought preparedness and management, facility water use, efficiency and conservation practices,
- Benchmarking (qualitative and quantitative) water use and efficiency,
- Engaging and partnering with key external stakeholders,
- Mapping the state-of-the-science of water footprinting practices as a first step for development of beverage industry sector guidance regarding water footprint calculations, and
- Publication of Beverage Industry Sector Guidance for Greenhouse Gas Emissions Reporting, Version 2.0, sector-specific guidance that aims to drive greater consistency in greenhouse gas (GHG) accounting methodology across the beverage industry.
BIER’s membership continues to grow, and member companies are serving as role models for industry sector collaboration within the space of environmental stewardship.
In July 2008, Global Corporate Consultancy Partner Tod Christenson presented written testimony on behalf of BIER to the House Science Subcommittee on Energy and Environment. Christenson’s testimony contributed to the Committee on Science and Technology drafting and approving H.R. 1145, the National Water Research and Development Initiative Act of 2009.
In 2009, the Pacific Institute recognized BIER as a leading peer-to-peer partnership in “The CEO Water Mandate, WATER DISCLOSURE 2.0: Assessment of Current and Emerging Practice in Corporate Water Reporting.”
BIER efforts elevate the beverage industry’s position as a leading sector in regard to environmental responsibility. In particular, the GHG sector guidance, developed through the unique collaboration of many subject matter experts from BIER member companies, is the first of its kind for any industry sector. Additionally, the methodology BIER has created, with the guidance of our team, helps beverage companies develop meaningful and actionable information about GHG emissions across the product value chain.