Check out our new floor safety tip sheet. You can download and print on card stock for your back room.
Have each employee sign they have read it as well!
Here are the basics!
- Wet floors – Watch out for floors that have been washed and not moped dry. Clean up or report all spills immediately. Don’t wait for a small spill to dry itself.
• Ramps & Stairs – Make sure all ramps and stairs have proper demarcation.
- Repair or replace – Look out for stair treads that are cracked or worn.
- Loose flooring – Use caution when walking over loose tiles, or floorboards.
- Oil, grease on floors – Have rags and detergent ready whenever you use oily materials. Don’t let grease or oil accumulate on a shop floor.
- Untidy floors – Even a small object on the floor, can cause a trip and fall.
- Electrical cords – Keep extension cords away from pathways. Use walkway cord covers if necessary.
- Use non – skid mats and/or Non-Slip shoes.
- Erect or “warning” signs or cones to warn people of a potential slip, trip, or fall hazards.
- Furniture – Arrange furniture to avoid an obstacle course of potential falls.
- Materials – Don’t store materials in hallways, aisles or stairs.
- Get help – Carry only what you can handle. Don’t rush.
- Drawers – Keep them closed.
- Lighting – Make sure stairways and hallways are well lighted.
- Never use “makeshift ladders” – Don’t use furniture or boxes as a makeshift ladder. Use a sturdy, balanced stepladder or a step stool made specifically for that purpose.
- • Watch hems and cuffs – They should be short enough so that you don’t catch a heel while walking.
• Don’t jump – Lower yourself from docks, trucks, or work stages.