Foodservice client that was looking to increase waste diversion but didn't want to increase costs by adding a recycling program. Before RecycleSmart, all materials were being disposed of in a roll off garbage bin.
A variety of different material types were being produced at the facility:
- Paper Bags (flour/sugar/other), Plastic Buckets and Bottles (#1, #2, #3 and #5)
- Metal (Tins) and Glass
- Plastic Barrels
- Fryer Oil
Limited staff resources to sort materials. All materials were disposed of in a general waste dumpster that was hauled 4 times per month at a cost of $289 per haul. Average monthly cost of $1,156.00.
In order to reduce the amount of waste sent to landfill, RecycleSmart identified that cardboard, paper bags, metal, glass, plastic barrels and tryer oil could be recycled instead of going into the waste bin.
RecycleSmart Implemented RecycleSmart Program:
- Separate plastic waste (#2) and collect in large bags for pick up
- Continue to stockpile plastic barrels and pick up on-demand
- Recycle Cardboard/Paper Bags collected in a bin which is picked up by a paper recycle r
- Recycle Glass/Tin, Plastic #1, #3, #5
- Fryer Oil collected in steel drums, recycled into bio diesel by recycler Average monthly cost: $345.00