Most work place accidents could be prevented with proper working gas detection equipment. Gas detection is a critical component for safety programs for any environment; it should be given the highest priority and attention to detail to avoid any accidents and unnecessary work place injuries or deaths.
Here are some suggestions on how to keep your work environment safe:
1. Read the gas level before entry. Conditions can change rapidly. A controller reading the gas level should be placed outside the room. Workers can view the reading prior to deciding if it’s safe to enter.
2. Make sure the gas detector is detecting the right types of harmful gases for the environment.
3. Regular maintenance is mandatory for the equipment to be working at its best. Equipment that has been stored for a long time can be improperly serviced or outdated this can cause the equipment to fail or give false readings.
4. Have the work place tested for odors. This can be caused by the following: dead animals, gas leaks, hidden mould growth, cracked sewer lines, rotting or decaying vegetation.
5. Have the work place tested after a fire. Fires have the potential to generate lots of contaminants which linger for a long time. These contaminants are airborne as well as surface. For your safety, do not come back in until it has been inspected and tested.
6. Keep your environment clean and dust free. Keep it cleaned regularly and have proper storage for chemicals.
Indoor air quality is extremely important to everyone’s health and should be taken seriously! Everyone should do whatever it takes to make their work environment safe.
ABM Environmental Inc. 2010. Web. 11 May 2012. .
EnviroMed Detection Services. Web. 11 May 2012. .
Savetech Environmental Ltd. 2010. Web. 11 May 2012. .