- Wash hands with soap and water often and disinfect works surfaces and equipment between sites.
- Do not eat, drink, or smoke while handling animals.
- Minimize exposure to mucosal membranes by wearing protective eyewear (goggles)
- The influenza virus is sensitive to many common disinfectants such as detergents, 10% household bleach, alcohol and other commercial disinfectants. The virus is much more difficult to inactivate if it is encrusted in organic material such as feces or soil.
- Take an influenza antiviral drug daily for the entire time you are in direct contact with infected birds or a contaminated environment.
Guidelines relating to Avian Influenza
Guidelines relating to Avian Influenza issued from time to time by the Ministry of Environment & Forests: Personal Care:- Wear rubber gloves and protective clothing that can be disinfected or disposed of and protective eyewear or a face shield while handling animals.