Among the largest single-location refineries in the world, the Essar Oil Refinery recognized the need to guarantee the quality of its boiler feed and drinking water.
Essar chose to partner with IDE and installed two highly energy-efficient Multi-Effect Distillation (MED) seawater desalination units. As a sign of a productive partnership, two further larger units were ordered in 2008, more than tripling the capacity. Essar and IDE’s desalination partnership proves that eco-awareness, operational innovation and cost savings can go hand in hand.
- Capacity: 65,000 m3/dayOLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
- Technology: Multi-Effect Distillation (MED)
- Project Type: Engineering-Procurement-Construction (EPC)
- Location: Jamnagar, Gujarat, India
- Footprint: 37.5m x 65m (2 units), 50m x150m (2 units)
- Commission Date: 2006, 2012
- Low energy consumption
- Low temperature process for high safety and low maintenance
- Minimal pretreatment required
- Continuous operation with high reliability > 95%
- Robust, customized design – optimized for customer needs
- Low operation and maintenance costs