Barnett Shale play in Texas, the natural gas economy
- According to Potter, the 5,500 wells currently pumping gas in the Barnett Shale play will ultimately generate on the order of $35 billion for their owners. As those companies pay taxes and wages, and as their employees and contractors in turn spend their money, there is an economic ripple effect, creating an overall value of about $100 billion to the Texas economy.
The Art of Hydraulic Fracturing
- Hydraulic fracturing technologies have been employed for several decades.
- Latest developments are based on horizontal fracturing techniques
- Development of natural gas is an important part of the us energy policy.
- Dnvironmental concerns, coupled with shortage of water and deepwell injection dominate the news
- It is important for the energy companies to solve environmental problems, at the same time having a cost effective treatment processes
Water Usage and Flowback
- For most hydraulic fracturing operations water and sand portion is 99.5%. Balance of the composition utilizes chemicals
- Fresh water usage / each gas well can range from 2 -4 million gallons
- Approximately 20% of this water can return to surface as flowback water.
- “Produced water” carries much higher level of oil, grease, organics and salinity.