The purpose of this manual is to enhance an inspector's ability to conduct more complete and effective inspections at facilities in the chemical industry that are subject to Federal equipment leak regulations. Equipment leak standards are designed to reduce or eliminate emissions of volatile organic compounds (VOCs), volatile hazardous air pollutants (VHAPs), and organic HAPs from the miles of piping and numerous components found in chemical manufacturing processes.
This document is divided into three volumes. The first volume is a manual for inspectors; the second and third volumes describe regulations that apply to the chemical manufacturing and the petroleum refining industries, respectively.
Volume I has five chapters dedicated to helping an inspector - view the Volume I in pdf format (273 Kb) :
- Chapter 1 states the goals, background, approaches to rule enforcement, and organization of the document.
- Chapter 2 addresses applicability determinations: ensuring the correct rules are being complied with at a facility, determining whether all appropriate components have been identified, and ensuring the components are properly classified by service.
- Chapter 3 discusses reporting and recordkeeping requirements for NSPS, NESHAP, HON, and RCRA (recordkeeping only), and strategies for reviewing reports and records.
- Chapter 4 covers on-site inspections: walk-throughs and inspections with the inspector monitoring for leaks. It addresses pre-inspection activities, timing and scope, interviews, leak monitoring evaluations, inspections of the process area and records, and post-inspection reviews and reports.
- Chapter 5 discusses recommended inspection techniques and procedures.
Volume II tackles the equipment leak regulations applicable to the chemical manufacturing industry - view the Volume II in pdf format (1.23 Mb) :
- The first three appendices of Volume II summarize the regulations of 40 CFR Part 60 Subpart VV, Part 61 Subparts J and V, Part 63 Subparts H and I, Part 264 Subpart BB, and Part 265 Subpart BB; detail the differences among the regulations; and give the requirements grouped by component.
- Appendix D describes the regulated equipment.
- Appendix E contains the “Method 21' approach to leak detection.
- Appendix F lists chemical manufacturing processes that are subject to HON.
- Appendix G lists organic HAPs that are subject to HON.
- Appendix H lists manufacturing processes and associated organic HAP emissions that are subject to HON.
Volume III contains the equipment leak regulations applicable to the petroleum refining industry - view the Volume III in pdf format (1.16 Mb) :
- The three appendices of Volume III summarize the regulations of 40 CFR Part 60 Subparts DDD, GGG, KKK, and QQQ, and Part 63 Subpart CC; detail the differences among the regulations; and give the requirements grouped by component.