The sludge disposal in Europe is affected by international trends and legislation as well as national and local situations. Some important trends are:
- Safe utilization of nutrients
- Safe utilization of energy
- Disinfection especially by requiring heat treatment
- Restrictions and increased costs towards landfill and incineration
- Increased public sensitivity
The situation is discussed in the three Scandinavian countries Denmark, Norway and Sweden as well as United Kingdom and Ireland. The strength of each of these trends are different in each of the countries. However, the mentioned trends are all represented in all of the countries and the future sludge treatment concept must be able to cope with all of them.
The Cambi thermal hydrolysis process is expanding in the market as a process solving very different local situations because it relates to all of the mentioned trends.