Undisclosed Site, Ontario, 2008
Environmental investigation of a grass-covered area uncovered free phase petroleum in fractured, weathered shale. A pilot project was undertaken by Terratechnik Ltd. to excavate the shale and treat it by washing with a non-ionic surfactant, Ivey-Sol® 103.
- Operates below the critical micelle concentration facilitating low application rates
- Strongly enhances the solubility of hydrophobic compounds
- Does not cause emulsification of oils
- Does not foul traditional wastewater treatment systems (i.e. organoclays, GAC, etc.)
- Unlike ionic surfactants Ivey-Sol® does not disperse in the aqueous phase
- There are various formulations (103,106,108) designed for specific types of contaminants
Washing was first conducted using just water, as a baseline for washing efficiency. Washing time was the only variable. Results are reported qualitatively.