Investigation, remediation, and closure activities
Elk Hills, Central California
- We've helped establish a statistical methodology using soil data to evaluate and develop a site-specific background concentration for metals that are naturally occurring above screening criteria, but also may be present due to historical site activities. We're also developing the human health risk assessment methodology.
- A consulting firm working for the US Department of Energy, the site's former owner
- Identified chemicals of potential concern (COPCs) and developed a conceptual site model for human environmental exposure to chemicals.
- Evaluated the chemical fate and mobility of an arsenic-based product reportedly used historically onsite.
- Future work will include field sampling strategy support for development of site investigation work plans, and risk assessments at individual locations in support of site closure.