The open architecture and flexibility of the Enviance solution allowed NCRA to track a variety of environmental requirements without having to make extensive changes to its work processes.
NCRA refines, transports, and stores crude oil and petroleum in the North Central region of the United States. The organization deals with everything from trucking crude oil to the refinery, to transporting the product to underground storage via pipelines. With so many operations and compliance requirements, NCRA was looking for a system that could centralize all environmental compliance data – without taxing IT resources or their budget.
- NCRA measured different systems against four specific goals:
- Maximum functionality with minimum learning curve
- Maximum versatility and functionality
- Minimum maintenance burden
- Minimum cost with maximum value
The open architecture and flexibility of the Enviance solution allowed NCRA to track a variety of environmental requirements without having to make extensive changes to its work processes. The System provided extra functionality through document management and compliance calendar capabilities without the need to purchase additional modules, like other solutions. And, the Enviance System, available on demand, offered the most functionality in one low-maintenance and cost effective solution.
NCRA took advantage of the implementation period to internally audit its waste program for improved work processes. The project was completed on scope, on time, and under budget - a rare claim for an environmental management information system (EMIS) implementation.
The Enviance System helped NCRA organize, standardize, and consolidate all EH&S reporting and compliance verification information, including:
- Environmental equipment inventory tracking and maintenance
- Air emissions inventory
- Permit compliance certification, including the refinery’s Title V operating permit and other permits
- National Emission Standard for Hazardous Air Pollutants (NESHAP) compliance and tracking, including the Refinery and Benzene NESHAPs
- New Source Performance Standards (NSPS) compliance and tracking, including petroleum refinery wastewater systems
- Release reporting and tracking for the Emergency Preparedness and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), and CERCLA
- Injection Well
- NPDES and storm water tracking, monitoring, and reporting
- Hazardous and non-hazardous waste tracking and manifesting
Since the System is available on demand, the need for on-site application installations or upgrades is eliminated – meeting NCRA’s ease-of-maintenance criteria. Enviance also satisfied NCRA’s cost management needs, requiring only a monthly licensing fee, with no additional hardware, support, or upgrade costs.
Centralizing data management allowed NCRA to make environmental data available across the entire organization, thereby streamlining its work processes and improving environmental performance. Everyone now has access to the same information, and the same data can be used for multiple reporting purposes saving resources and time.
By keeping management informed about the new System, NCRA was able to generate strong corporate backing and subsequent user commitment to the project’s success.
- organize, standardize, and consolidate all EH&S reporting and compliance verification information.