Next-generation OES analysis for total metals control
There’s never been a more demanding time for those in the metals industry. Foundries and steel plants are under increasing pressure to use scrap materials in the melt. Supply chains are getting more complex and perhaps less reliable. Legislation for trace elements is getting ever tougher. The result is that to be able to consistently produce a profitable, high quality product that meets all specifications and meets legislation, foundries and metals processing companies need to measure and control the materials entering and exiting their facilities. And that can be a problem.
To meet a materials specification, you must test for everything. And right now, current specifications are above what many mid-range OES analysers can cope with. High end OES analysers are out of reach for many and can be unsuitable for a high-throughput production environment. This is where the new OE750 from Hitachi High-Tech comes into its own.
OE750: Designed for next level OES analysis
The OE750 is a ground-breaking piece of equipment. It’s an OES analyser than performs like a high-end instrument yet is affordable to buy and run. It can achieve next-level OES analysis, such as:
- The ability to analyse all alloying, treatment, trace, residual and tramp elements for iron alloys and steel. The OE750 has extremely low limits of detection, and can detect Sb, B, Pb, N, Zn, Bi, Se and Te to below 10ppm.
- Meeting the requirements of the revised ASTM E415 test method for carbon and low-alloy steel and ASTM E1086 standard test method for the analysis of stainless steel. This means the analyser can easily detect nitrogen down to 10ppm.
- Allowing aluminium die casters to control levels of phosphorus, antimony and bismuth to very low limits in near eutectic and hypereutectic Al-Si alloys. The ability to control these, and other tramp and trace elements, ensures Al processing facilities have a higher level of control over optimising the melt structure.
- Easily detect minute elements present in scrap metal, including zinc down to 1 ppm. This is essential when recycling automotive parts or sorting incoming scrap material.
- Control over titanium production through analysis of gasses such as nitrogen, oxygen and hydrogen.
- The potential to analyse copper anodes in refineries, plus brass, bronzes, gun metals and other copper alloys in foundries.
- Comprehensive trace elements analysis to support PMI testing of incoming materials for high-end metals machining and forming facilities.
These capabilities mean that foundries and metals processing facilities do not have to compromise performance for the sake of cost. The OE750 delivers next level OES analysis at a price point that’s cost-effective for foundries, steel mills, metals manufacturers and scrap metal facilities.
Ultimate quality control. No compromise
The OE750 has a high optical resolution and covers the entire spectrum of elements in metal with low detection limits. This has been achieved through the development of a new optical concept and other technological innovations, such as a new sealed spark stand and electrical spark discharge source.
Additional benefits such as fast start-up time and reduced maintenance intervals ensure the analyser supports high throughput production and 100% PMI quality assurance programmes.