• Main cooling water pumps
• Cooling water storage tanks
• Distribution manifold to cooling water users
• Cooling water collecting basins
• Cooling water recycling pumps
• Cooling tower
The system reviewed in this paper is the side stream cooling system of a power station in Germany, with a capacity of 1000 m3 /h (4400 US gpm). Operation started in early 1989 and the plant was operated for over 2 years. During this period the following items were analyzed and evaluated:
• Ozone residual in the water
• Quality of the cooling water
• Organic scaling on equipment and piping
• Material corrosion
For the purpose of analyzing the corrosion, two heat exchangers were installed, with identical ratings but each fi tted with tubes of different materials. One unit was in contact with ozonated water, while the other was exposed to water without ozone.
The results of this study are extremely encouraging. The following paper reviews the findings of the 2 year operation.