Improve landfill diversion rates and reduce costs with rising landfill tax and waste management costs:
- Contact suppliers or head office to improve waste management by reducing the amount of packaging used or implementing take back schemes therefore eliminating waste
- Review waste storage facilities – ensure sufficient quantity of bins, labelling of facilities and provide signage and instructions to assist with correct segregation.
- Clearly define materials to be recycled or segregated
- Consult with staff to ensure the system is effective and provide regular communications to staff to inform them of the changes
- Review relevant facilities, including compactors and bailers to manage high volumes of waste
- Ensure facilities are able to handle the increased waste during busy periods such as Christmas
- Monitor waste figures and set targets for land diversion.
- As part of contract negotiations, ensure adequate data provision from waste contractor is provided
- Opportunities to reduce energy bills and identify initiatives to reduce usage:
- Implement an energy management plan which includes the BMS (Building Management Services) plans
- Ensure a comprehensive energy review is undertaken and monitor energy usage
- Ensure non essential lights and equipment are switched off when not in use and in line with opening hours / review light fittings in use
- Review heating and cooling systems including hours of operation and temperature settings, for example can natural ventilation be used