Polaris Realty is a 40 year old commercial property management company with a portfolio of 13 properties located in Quebec, British Columbia, and Ontario. All of their buildings have been recognized as BOMA BESt and LEED EB, a voluntary environmental certification standard for buildings, and their AXA Place in Vancouver won the BOMA Earth Award in 2010.
In 2010, Polaris began working with e3 Solutions for the purpose of measuring and benchmarking the environmental performance of their properties. e3 performed carbon audits on their facilities by collecting and analyzing data from 2007 until 2010. Polaris is now able to manage its own carbon emissions by using e3’s Carbon Accounting Tool, e3CAT.
- e3’s report on Polaris identified the following key achievements of the company’s reduction strategy.
- 100% of employees submitted commuting information, an extremely high response
- By 2009, emissions had dropped by 76 tonnes, compared to 2007
- All properties participated in the carbon footprint exercise, including those in Ontario, British Columbia, and Quebec
- Polaris plans on establishing a building efficiency program for all its tenants
The graph on the right shows total emissions from all measurements, from 2007-2009 (in tonnes). Polaris’s largest source of emissions is its electrical use. Their most notable reduction opportunities are in electricity.
The other graph shows total commuting emissions across three provinces. British Columbia and Quebec employees participate in carpooling and public transportation on a more regular basis than Ontario employees.