“PSC solves clients’ toughest environmental and industrial services challenges with the industry’s most qualified people, state-of-the-art technologies and customized service programs.” This is the mission statement of PSC Industrial Outsourcing LP – headquartered in Houston, TX with more than 2,000 employees at 100 locations across North America. PSC services include oil recycling and recovery, saltwater deep well injection, Naturally Occurring Radioactive Material (NORM) decontamination, sludge processing and more. PSC’s Industrial Services Division addresses environmental management challenges on behalf of the petroleum refining, petrochemical, electric utility, manufacturing, transportation and other industries as well as a variety of government agencies.
In 2011, however, PSC senior management turned to the company’s own environmental department and asked, ‘How do we confirm the fact that our facilities are in compliance with the regulations? How do our local managers know what regulations apply to their operations?” The environmental team responded by developing and deploying the Fresh Start Program. Modeled after ISO 14001, Fresh Start is a comprehensive environmental management system (EMS) designed to address a broad spectrum of compliance challenges. One of the EMS’ first priorities is determining and communicating all of the applicable environmental regulatory requirements for PSC’s dedicated nationwide network of industrial, transfer and recycling facilities.
The PSC environmental management team chose IHS CyberRegs, an online regulatory content service, as its primary resource to establish a baseline knowledge of the hundreds of federal, state or local regulations that apply to each of their 37 facilities and then track additional rules and changes. “A critical component of any EMS is identifying the legal requirements,” said Satara Henry, Division Director for Environmental Compliance. “In the evaluation phase, our team uses the Environmental Screening Questionnaire, Environmental Evaluation Form and Risk assessment tools to identify sitespecific service line activities and how they impact the environment. Support programs like CyberRegs are instrumental to us keeping up with new and ever-changing regulations.”
PSC’s leadership team has assigned ownership for compliance data to environmental managers at the individual site-level, who are most familiar with their operations, while assigning divisional environmental managers to provide best-practice guidance and standardization across facilities.
- Identify environmental regulatory requirements for nationwide network of 37 dedicated industrial, transfer, and recycling facilities
- Assure compliance with new and ever-changing federal, state and local regulations
- Increase measurable environmental performance results across the company
- IHS Environmental Performance Solution with IHS CyberRegs
- Established company-wide environmental management system (EMS) based on ISO 14001
- Enabled EMS with online regulatory content for government regulations and industry standards
- Helped divisional and facility managers collaborate with shared source of regulatory content
- Saved time/effort and improved data quality by replacing manual processes and disparate systems with instant access to authoritative regulatory info
- Provided requirements for 50-60 compliance tasks per year – 1000s of tasks annually companywide
- Helped EMS reduce Notices of Violation and Self-Reported Exceedances by 50% AND achieve zero reportable spills in 2012