A Machine-to-Machine technology combining low data volume with IT security and international data transmission at a internationally standardised service rate: That’s rapidM2M by Microtronics. Our blog article answers four questions about rapidM2M.
- What differentiates rapidM2M from other technologies on the market?
- How do system integrators benefit from rapidM2M?
- How do manufacturers benefit from rapidM2M?
- How is rapidM2M structured?
That is what differentiates rapidM2M from other technologies on the market
The rapidM2M technology was developed specially for the realisation and operation of M2M / IoT applications and is based on three pillars:
The rapidM2M transmission protocol works extremely efficiently. In contrast to classic solutions, it transmits only the data that is actually needed for the used M2M application. rapidM2M does not transmit overheads for example. So transmitted data doesn’t have to be checked first for relevance but can be processed instantly. The low data volume also enables permanent and automated data transmission from devices and machines at minimal operational costs.
Also the hardware – for example the rapidM2M developer packages – is especially efficient. The used application runs directly on the hardware. According to the application, only those components are activated that are actually needed for the application’s operation. Therefore also the energy consumption is kept low.
rapidM2M also offers efficiency for the project phase. The programme logic model can be simulated quickly with the already mentioned rapidM2M developer packages. The final programme logic model can be integrated directly into a market-ready product. Therefore rapidM2M users can set up M2M business models faster and increase their speed-to-market.
In cooperation with TÜV and according to the recommendations of the BSI (Federal Office for Information Security), Microtronics uses a multi-layered security concept. Information is protected in every processing stage by the “end-to-end” encryption method as well as the local and server-sided authentication.
The system architecture itself already offers basic security. It is based on a storage-to-storage communication, whereby a storage in the M2M gateway is mirrored respectively synchronised with an equivalent storage on the server back end permanently or in a defined interval. The back end as well as the gateway only accept defined data containers. In contrast to classic solutions, only the virtual image of the gateway is changed on the back end.
In addition to the encryption method used by the telecommunications provider, Microtronics also uses a multi-layered security concept. It comprises AES encryption (Diffie-Hellman key exchange), device authentication (Elliptic Curve DSA) and hardware authentication via crypto chip.
Due to the rapidM2M system architecture the processes of data recording, data storage and data transmission are separated. So contrary to classic solutions, data can’t go lost in case of transmission errors.
The rapidM2M protocol offers the great benefit that it was specially developed for the resource-efficient realisation and operation of M2M / IoT applications. So you don’t have to use protocols that do not fulfil all requirements of an M2M/ IoT solution satisfactorily. This adds vitally to the system’s stability.
rapidM2M benefits for system integrators:
- Overall package, from modules through to front end
- Various simulation options with rapidM2M developer packages
- Quick presentation of Proof of Concept
- Programme logic model can be integrated directly into a market-ready product
- Minimisation of development costs by using an ecosystem specially developed for M2M applications
rapidM2M benefits for manufacturers:
- Quick integration of M2M technology into products increases speed-to-market
- Extension of service portfolio by offering web services (e.g. smartphone apps etc.)
- Additional revenue streams
- Analysis of user behaviour for further product optimisations
- Competitive advantages due to innovative technology
This is how rapidM2M is structured
The whole rapidM2M system comprises:
- Programmable modules or portable source code for 32Bit ARM controllers
- Managed Service SIM cards without basic fee, independent of operators & global usage at a internationally standardised service rate
- Private server licenses or public cloud (Platform as a Service, PaaS)
The different rapidM2M modules (e.g. rapidM2M M220) are GSM modules equipped with the rapidM2M firmware. They offer flexible programming and simple integration. Furthermore they have a very low energy demand. The rapidM2M firmware can be integrated into any kind of module.
The so called Managed Service enables the stable operation of the rapidM2M technology. It comprises among others software updates for devices over the air (OTA) and SIM management. Its centrepiece however is the international GSM data transmission at a internationally standardised service rate.
The cloud gives access to the rapidM2M equipped hardware and the data it collects. The collected information is provided on a RESTful API and can be integrated easily into web sites and other IT services where the data is displayed, analysed and processed. Additional functions are for example: alarm call plans, device management, user management and cost control. rapidM2M enables both to receive data from devices and to transmit data to devices.