Robert Bosch GmbH, Germany - case study
Bosch is a multinational engineering and manufacturing firm specializing in electronics, automotive components, power tools, security systems and home appliances.Water System Challenges
There are two main water supply intakes into eleven buildings of the Bosch facility in , with annual consumption of about 40,000 m3. Previous attempts were made to treat the water chemically against corrosion and scale, however maintenance requirements remained high. The water boilers had to be cleaned with ordinary descaler on regular intervals, and parts of the sanitary fittings had to be replaced frequently by maintenance personnel.Solution
In May 1991, following a market research, an ION ScaleBuster SB65-16E (2-½”) was installed in the water inlet to one building for a 6 months trial. The following were to be inspected regularly:
- 2000 litre main water heater in the transfer station
- Cloakroom and rest area in the northern section of the building (45m distance, a 60 litre water heater)
- Cloakroom and rest area in the southern section of the building (180m distance, a 60 litre water heater)
After three months, the first inspection was undertaken, followed by a second inspection 45 days later.
- The 2000L water heater tank was opened. Lime scale deposits had dissolved from the heating elements and collected on tank bottom. The 2ND examination showed that no new deposits had formed and the heating element was clean.
- In the beginning of the test period no fittings were replaced nor cleaned and all maintenance activity was stopped for the test period. Opening the 60L tank on October 17, 1991 showed that pre-existing lime scale rings had dissolved and the deposits were collected on the tank’s bottom.
- In the beginning of the test period all corroded fittings were replaced or renewed but all maintenance activity was stopped. Opening the 60L tank for monthly checks showed no new deposits formation. No repair or cleaning were required throughout the test period.
By March 1992, seven buildings at the Bosch facility were equipped with ScaleBuster conditioners.