Any Sewage Water Work throughout the world will produce sludge, a form of biomass growing in the basins. This biomass has to be evacuated and is, generally speaking difficult to handle! When liquid it has a dry matter of 3 to 4 %, or only 30 to 40 kg per ton of sludge, when mechanically dehydrated to 20 - 25 % most of it is still water, as an average 750 to 800 kg per ton of filter cake.
This remaining water can only be extracted with thermal methods - the sun is our option!
In southern areas open air Drying Beds or Sludge Lagoons are widely used but have over the years shown some well known serious problems such as:
- Bad odours
- Polluting the ground water table
- A general hygienic problem for the people handling the sludge
- Breeding ground for insects and germs
- Difficulties to empty or refurbish when filled up
- Difficult to use it as a fertilizer in agriculture
These problems can be solved using Wendewolf®.