Give a brief history of the program: In an effort to find new and exciting ways of reaching our youth, the Escambia County Recycling Summer Camp was created in the Summer of 2009. The recycling camp is a free program offered to area youth ages six to 12. The camp is a one-day excursion to the Escambia County Perdido Landfill where kids participate in funfilled activities designed to teach the importance of waste diversion. The County developed the Recycling Camp with the following goals in mind:
- Educate area youth about Escambia County’s overall Integrated Solid Waste Management program.
- Show where waste goes, demonstrate how a landfill works and explain what will happen if more waste is not diverted from landfills.
- Highlight ways in which the Solid Waste Division recycles, reuses and diverts materials from the landfill. Hands-on projects using the recycled materials reinforce the value of these salvaged goods.
- Educate youth on how actions at home or around town can impact the local environment.
- Educate youth about diversion programs at the Perdido Landfill.
- Equip participants with the enthusiasm and knowledge to educate family and friends.