WPL have a range of portable sewage treatment solutions that can be utilised to replace or augment existing sewage treatment plant. The plant range can be hired or purchased.
WPL have considered each stage of the sewage treatment process within their portable range. Primary, secondary and tertiary options are available to meet stringent consent conditions.
In December 2007 WPL were approached by Alfred McAlpine (now owned by Carillion) to provide an above ground, temporary sewage treatment plant for a Scottish Water project located at Glenluce, Scotland.
The plant needed to accommodate flows of up to 6 DWF (dry weather flow). The solution WPL offered comprised of lamella tanks to act as primary and tertiary (humus) settlement and GRP SAFs (Submerged aerated filters) to provide carbonaceous treatment.
WPL supplied the following plant:
- Primary settlement - Lamella tank with hopper bottomed sludge storage.
- Secondary treatment - Twin SAF arrangement each supplied with duty/standby blowers, skid mounted kiosks, ladders and handrails to SAF.
- Humus settlement - Lamella tank with hopper bottomed sludge storage
The system required a pump feed into the first primary tank before allowing a gravity flow to the final effluent. Sludge was removed from the sewage by the hopper bottomed tanks before being tankered off site.
The main purpose of this temporary arrangement was to allow Alfred McAlpine to take out of commission the existing sewage treatment plant whilst maintaining consent discharge to watercourse.
A new/replacement sewage works was constructed once the temporary plant was up and running. The old plant was totally taken out of commission.
The key benefits to Alfred McAlpine utilising such plant were:
- Any tankering away of sewage was eliminated during the construction work
- The project timescale was kept to a minimum by having the facility of a temporary sewage treatment works.
- The works effluent consent was maintained
- WPL technical back-up was provided for throughout the hire period
The plant was supplied initially for a 13 week period with the primary tank hire extended to allow for modifications to the existing primary tank. Transport to and from site with project set up were all included within the package.
Alfred McAlpine also procured a similar arrangement while carrying out plant upgrade at the Scottish Water Kirkcowan site. Feedback received from all stakeholders post hire was positive.
During pre, present and post project, WPL supported Alfred McAlpine with their Glenluce plant upgrade work. WPL staff listened to the company's 'wants and needs' before supplying them with a bespoke solution. At each stage individual key staff from WPL supported the operation of the plant which was located some 450 mile from WPL's operations. WPL's capability in providing wastewater solutions to clients was demonstrated with plant successfully deployed and utilised on the Glenluce project.
WPL have a range of the following portable / hire equipment to call upon for client's temporary projects
- Portable SAFs (Secondary treatment or Nitrifying SAFs)
- Lamella Tanks (Primary or tertiary settlement)
- Microscreens (Tertiary Suspended Solids removal)
- Sandfilters (Carbonaceous and Suspended Solids Tertiary treatment)
- Sludge storage/digestion (Extended sludge storage / digestion)
WPL can call upon this range of plant to design and offer a bespoke solution to meet each individual project requirements.