Performance History and Discussion
Texas City selected in-Pipe Technology. Inc. to provide a collection system bioaugmentatlon program to control fats, oil and grease (FOG) and H2S odor in the sewer system. The program is also designed to reduce influent load to the wastewater treatment plant (WWTP), improve the quality of the effluent water, improve the operating efficiency and reduce operating costs at the plant.
In-Pipe Treatment Strategy
In-Pipe designed a treatment strategy and provided, installed and maintains ninety-six dosing units for the collection system which add a consortium of bacteria throughout the Town's wastewater collection system. In-Pipe's blend of facultative anaerobic bacteria form a biofilm inside the sewer pipes which initiates treatment of the wastewater in the sewer system during conveyance to the WWTP. The bacteria also inoculate the influent wastewater with heterotrophic wastewater bacteria that enable a greater degradation of organics and lower oxygen requirements than normal wastewater bacteria.
After the first three months of collection system bioaugmentation treatment the WWTP has
observed the following changes:
- Average H2S concentration at a hot-spot in the collection system has decreased
- by 45% while peak values have fallen by 38%.
- FOG accumulation is being successfully controlled.
- Effluent ammonia load has decreased by 50%
- Influent CBOD and TSS have decreased by 11% and 28%, respectively.
- Effluent CBOD and TSS have decreased by 22% and 19%, respectively
- Sludge production has decreased by 9% (based on cubic yards disposed)
Summary at a Glance
- Project Installed: November 2012
- Plant Size: 5.7MGD
- Service Objectives:
- Control Collection System FOG and Odor
- Reduce Influent CBOD and TSS Load
- Improve Effluent Quality
- Reduce Energy Use and Sludge Production
- Performance Summary:
- 45% Reduction Collection System H2S
- Successful Collection System FOG Control
- 50% Effluent Ammonia Load Reduction
- 22% Reduction Effluent CBOD Load
- 19% Reduction Effluent TSS Load
- 11% Reduction Influent CBOD Load
- 28% Reduction Influent TSS Load
- 9% Reduction Sludge Hauled